New Ongoing Call for Submissions: Erotic Short Romances

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Carina Press is pleased to announce a new ongoing call for erotic short romances.

We’re in search of erotic romantic short stories between 10,000 and 17,000 words, for ongoing publication beginning in Summer 2017.

Description/story focus:

Recognizing that on occasion size does matter, and sometimes we actually just want to read something short that delivers a sexy, quick, fun romance, we’re interested in reading and publishing your stories that deliver a focused romance with explicit sex scenes.

These erotic short stories can be contemporary, paranormal, historical, science fiction or fantasy romances. They should deliver a fast story, one that transports readers from the stresses of everyday life, work and politics for an hour or two. Our two main requirements are that they be erotic or super sexy and they deliver on a romance promise with an HEA or HFN. We won’t demand a major focus on character development, extreme conflict or drawn-out plots for these, because we understand that can be difficult in a limited word count. We’re looking for a focus on escapism, happiness and romance!

Submission link: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/77558/erotic-short-romances

To submit:

• Complete* manuscript in .rtf, .doc or .docx
  • Query letter containing a 2 paragraph description of the story, as well as introducing yourself as a writer.
  • NO synopsis required

*While Carina Press generally only accepts submissions of full, completed manuscripts, if you have previously published with Carina or another digital/traditional publisher, or if you have independently published multiple books with a solid positive rating history, please query us at submission@carinapress.com about submitting a proposal. If we agree to look at a proposal in place of a full manuscript, the editorial team reserves the right to request a full manuscript prior to making a final decision, and all full manuscripts for accepted novellas would be due to editor 6 weeks after the close of anthology call.

FAQs:

Are same sex pairings permitted? Yes, we’ll absolutely consider same sex pairings or multiples.

What’s the word count for these stories? The word count is 10k-17k words. It’s okay to cheat a few words in either direction. If it’s significantly longer than 17k, no problem, we do acquire novellas across genres, so you can submit it as a novella.

If I submit on proposal, when is the full manuscript due if my manuscript is accepted?  Since these will be published on an ongoing basis, we can work with you on delivery dates for your full manuscript.

Do I need to have a synopsis? A synopsis is not required for this particular call, but if you have one, please include it! What we do require is a two paragraph description of the story, to be included in your query letter.

If I’m a returning author, should I submit to you or to my editor? Submit via your editor or via the Submittable link for returning authors (that link can be found in the Carina Press Author Kit!).

For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at submissions@carinapress.com

For more information about Carina Press, and to read our submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp

*Permission to forward granted*

26 thoughts on “New Ongoing Call for Submissions: Erotic Short Romances”

1. R.W. says:

Excellent! I’m so excited for this call. Quick question though: you say “We’re looking for a focus on escapism, happiness and romance!” Does this mean you’re steering away from darker and/or heavier themes for this particular call? Things like overcoming past trauma, thriller elements, taboo pairings, etc.

Thanks!

1. Angela James says:

RW, we’ll still look at taboo themes, but these are meant to be escapist and still romance, which is harder to achieve in 17k if you go too dark!

Savannah,
      That’s correct, it’s an ongoing call so it’s not closing. We’ll keep publishing them as long as we keep getting them!

2. Savannah sunrise says:

I would just like to clarify something: When you say ongoing, does that mean there is no official end date for submission acceptance?

3. Hi. Could you tell me how these short stories will be published? Individually or as a collection based on genres? Thanks!

1. Angela James says:

@D.M. published individually. This isn’t an anthology call, it’s an ongoing call for submissions.

4. Kaushik Karforma says:

Hi, do you have any restrictions on incest?

1. Angela James says:

@kaushik we’re really not down with actual incest. Fine with perceived incest (step/adopted/guardian, etc)

5. Kaushik Karforma says:

Is there any special formatting required for the manuscript or will double-spaced Times New Roman 12-pt do?

1. Angela James says:

@kaushik no special formatting requirements, just make it readable for us!

6. Carrie Pulkinen says:

Will you consider previously published work if I have the rights back?

1. Angela James says:

@Carrie we will consider previously pub’d work if you also have ideas for new, unpublished work that you’d be willing to also publish with us. We don’t acquire just/only previously pub’d work from any author.

7. Hello,

Just three questions for me: is there a cut off date for submissions and can we submit more than one story or is it only one entry per person?

Thanks,
    Amy

1. Angela James says:

@Amy this is not a limited-time call, it’s something we’ll be acquiring on an ongoing basis so you follow the same guidelines as our regular submissions (we do accept more than one at a time from authors)

8. Ann Patterson says:

Is there an issue if it’s a dd/lg (daddy dom-little girl) story?

1. Angela James says:

Hi Ann, no issue with that. We have a dd/lg book coming out soon!

9. reena singh says:

dear editors,

I have a short story appx 24000 words but it is a romance story . It does have the hero and heroine making love but it is not in the erotic genre more towards desire category. Do i submit to you?

1. Angela James says:

@reena we accept romance, just follow the directions on the Write for Us page and submit under the correct category (contemporary, paranormal, etc) on our Submittable page.

10. Kenya Wright says:

I had a question. Would it be possible to do a novella series or trilogy?

1. Angela James says:

Kenya, yes, we will accept series & trilogies, absolutely.

11. Richard St John says:

how much do you pay for these ?

12. rich says:

when do you pay for these

1. Angela James says:

Rich, information about our pay structure and digital royalties can be found at our FAQs: http://carinapress.com/blog/submission-guidelines/#4 we do not pay advances, royalties are paid quarterly.

13. Scott says:

I have been writing erotic stories for close to thirty years but have never thought about having them published until a friend brought it up about twenty minutes ago. I have been writing an on-going series I guess you could call it about a couple exploring their sexuality in different adventures. Swingers parties, MFM, Gangbangs, anonymous partners, adult book stores I could go on and on. The husband and wife do dabble in the bisexual realm every now and then. I am just curious if those are the types of stories you are looking for. If so as I said I have been writing about the adventures of a couple for awhile so already have a bunch that have just been sitting finished but unread for years now. I just want to make sure I am on the same page as you as far as what you are looking for. I have to say that would be nice so all of my stories don’t go to waste. I am completely new to trying to get published so not sure about formatting or anything. If I am on the right path is there a place to submit a story to have it looked at to make sure I am writing correctly, I guess someone to proof read is the best way to describe what I am thinking. I am just nervous is all. Thank you in advance.

1. Angela James says:

Hi Scott, congratulations on beginning your publishing journey. It sounds like you’re not completely familiar with the romance genre, so researching romance might be a great place for you to start. I can recommend two websites that are great resources for authors–Absolute Write and Romance Divas, as well as the Romance Writers of America association. All three will have discussion forums and articles that will help you get up-to-speed on the different fiction markets, including romance, and where you can ask questions of fellow authors.

It sounds to me like what you’re writing right now might not be romance, but more in the world of erotica, but finding some critique partners or beta readers to help steer you might also be beneficial.

Good luck!

1. Scott says:

OK I am very confused then.

“Recognizing that on occasion size does matter, and sometimes we actually just want to read something short that delivers a sexy, quick, fun romance, we’re interested in reading and publishing your stories that deliver a focused romance with explicit sex scenes.

These erotic short stories can be contemporary, paranormal, historical, science fiction or fantasy romances. They should deliver a fast story, one that transports readers from the stresses of everyday life, work and politics for an hour or two. Our two main requirements are that they be erotic or super sexy and they deliver on a romance promise with an HEA or HFN.”

I thought the request was for erotic stories which is exactly what I write as you pointed out. Those were some examples but also have hundreds more that go from before people meet for the first time to their first meeting through the sexual parts and have a happy for now ending.

You’re not asking for your typical “Romance” stories you’re asking for the erotic type from what I am reading and looks like the other questions people asked were under the same assumption. What part am I getting wrong here? A blending of both the romantic and erotic.

“we’re interested in reading and publishing your stories that deliver a focused romance with explicit sex scenes”

– Everything you’re asking for is what I write. I do not write “Romance” I write “Erotic Romances” I guess you could call them. As I said maybe I am just misunderstanding what you’re looking for. It might also be my own fault for describing just one type of stories I have written. Most of my others are more like “Fifty Shades” just without the abuse and with a typical man and woman which from people who have read mine have all found “Suspension of disbelief” to be easier since it is not so far fetched.

I guess the best way would be for me to just go through what I have and submit. If it’s off the mark I assume someone will let me know. If i’m on the mark I’ll assume someone will let me know. Again I think I just may have given you a bad example of my type of writing.

You did make me realize I was on the wrong track with those specific stories I mentioned but think I understand now what you’re looking for.

Thank you for you’re response.

1. Angela James says:

Hi Scott! It may be that your books are romance, and possibly the descriptions didn’t do them justice, just as you said. We welcome submissions so please do feel free to send one our way.

Comments are closed.