Carina Press is hiring freelance content/developmental editors.
We are looking to expand our pool of freelance content/developmental editors. We’re in search of editors who are interested in the adult fiction genres we publish and have the marketing and editorial understanding of what is selling in the romance markets and what romance readers are looking for. Candidates must have previous paid editorial experience.
***NOTE*** I am particularly interested in hearing from applicants who have experience with Western fiction (not Western romance), as I need someone for a special project.
We are also particularly interested in freelance editors with a background in editing diverse romance, so please note this in your letter of interest.
Last, if you have experience in editing/publishing mystery, please bring this to my attention in your letter of interest.
Please read the below carefully. Respondents who don’t meet the requirements or who don’t include the requested material will not receive a reply. Please be sure to provide all requested material detailed in the paragraphs below.
- Candidate must be open to diversity and romance in all its forms.
- Three years’ minimum paid experience in an editorial position. Internships, beta reading or critique partner experience do not count toward this experience. The editorial position must have included actual hands-on content editing.
- Understanding of the difference between editing and polishing a book/offering insight into editorial issues and rewriting or interfering with an author’s voice. This is the one that gets most applicants in the testing phase. We are very serious about our editorial partners not rewriting an author’s work, but guiding the editing process instead.
- Excellent editorial eye for content, story, characterization, plot and more but also the ability to assist author in line edits, polishing writing and improving craft.
- Ability to follow a style guide and general understanding of CMoS.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and its review functions, including Track Changes and comments.
- Comfort with technology and digital books.
- Ability to communicate editorial revisions to an author in a concise, clear and professional manner.
- Genuine love of editing, reading and the craft of writing.
- Ability to self-motivate, stay on task and meet deadlines consistently.
- Ability to take direction and feedback and incorporate it into future work.
- Interest in working in a freelance environment with a team atmosphere.
- Desire and ability to help an author build his or her career.
- Interest in working in the digital industry, being part of a growing business and joining a leader in digital publishing.
- Willingness to engage in ancillary activities, both paid and unpaid, such as contest judging, guest blogging and interacting with editorial and author peers in an online environment.
- Willingness to attend virtual editorial team and acquisition meetings on a paid basis.
- Desire to learn about digital book marketing, as well as other aspects of digital publishing.
- Thorough understanding of and insight into the genres you choose to edit.
- Ability to work on multiple projects during the same timeframe.
- Commitment to reading and evaluating a minimum of 25 submissions a month (this is a paid activity).
- Ability to adapt and be flexible as the business processes and requirements change and grow.
If you meet these qualification requirements, are interested in working in a freelance capacity for a flat, per-assignment/per-task fee, and would like to learn more about the freelance editing position, please upload your CV and a letter of interest. In your letter of interest:
- detail your qualifications
- acknowledge understanding of the above requirements
- verify that you meet the requirements
- state why you are interested in working for Carina Press in particular
- list what genres and romance sub-genres you feel you’d be most qualified to edit.
Upload all documents to the job posting at this link. Attention Angela James.
Required information (to be called Credential file) to be included alongside a CV and letter of interest:
- Title and author of last 5 books on which you were primary editor.
- Titles of any books you have been primary editor for that have won major awards or hit NYT or USA TODAY lists.
- Name and email address of 2 authors on whose books you acted as primary editor, who would be willing to answer questions regarding their editorial experience with you.
- Title and author of the three most recent books you read and loved/would recommend.
- Favorite book you read in 2016.
We will respond with further information about the position to qualified applicants who submit all requested information. Applicants who are being considered will be asked to complete an editorial test, so please be prepared to go through this process if you apply.
To apply: please upload, at this link, your CV as one document, upload required information in a second document called Credential file, and, in query letter area, include a letter of interest detailing your qualifications (please see above), why you’re interested in Carina Press, and what genres you’re most interested in editing.
We will accept applications for this freelance opportunity until April 17th, 2017.
**Should you forward this call or post it on forums or job search boards, please be sure to include a link to this post and the requirements. In the past we have received applications via freelancer job boards that have not followed our instructions/requirements as the applicants did not read the specific job posting. Thank you!**