Detective and suspense fiction featuring two male protagonists taking “bromance” to its ultimate and most provocative conclusion is known as male/male mystery. If you enjoy mystery, men and romance, there’s a lot here to love…
1. The High Body Count. Dead bodies, yes. Naturally. But the doubly delicious live body count, too.
2. Variety is the Spice of Death. Just like in mainstream mystery, male/male mystery offers death and danger in every size and color: romantic suspense, cute and quirky cozies, hard-boiled PIs, FBI thrillers, comic capers and even spooky gothics. There’s something here for every mystery reader—including lovers of shy amateur-sleuth barista mysteries.
3. And Speaking of Size and Color… Male/male mystery is some of the most diverse, socially conscious and, frankly, original crime fiction out there. Bored with Mrs. White in the kitchen with the candlestick? Maybe it’s time to try Professor Plum in the study with a rope and—Mr. Green!
4. Cop Boyfriends. Need I say more? Those handsome, long-suffering, utterly indispensable partners in crime. Oh, and let’s not forget FBI boyfriends.
5. The Kiss of Life. Unabashed romance. The male/male mystery is, by definition, half romance novel. Here there is no sheepish effort to keep a romantic subplot from tearing off its shirt and dragging the whodunit into bed. It is the romantic subplot’s job to tempt and tease the mystery plot into taking dangerous chances and risking everything for love.
What do you think? Have you tried male/male mystery yet?
Author of over sixty titles of classic male/male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kick-ass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, Josh Lanyon is an EPIC Award winner, a four-time Lambda Literary Award finalist for gay mystery and the first-ever recipient of the Goodreads All-Time Favorite M/M Author award.