We’re taking our popular critique group workshop online!
Enter now to win a spot in one of two virtual groups being held in October
These workshops are an opportunity for authors to solicit professional and peer feedback on their manuscript, in real time, in a helpful, constructive and kind environment. We’ll discuss overall story arcs, the all-important “hook,” pacing, characterization and tension (among many others). Attendees are e-mailed marked-up manuscript pages following the group discussion.
WIN the opportunity to join either Carina Press Editorial Director Angela James or Senior Editor Kerri Buckley and a small group of your fellow authors, and get feedback on your work-in-progress.
Virtual critique groups will be held via TeamViewer on Friday, October 16th, 2015 from 1-2pm EDT and Friday, October 23rd, 2015 from 1-2pm EDT.
Each author will be allotted 20 minutes in which they will receive feedback from Angela/Kerri and the other author participants. Participants are asked and expected to read and comment on all chapters prior to the event and not just attend to receive comments on their own work. All critiques will be expected to be helpful, constructive, and framed kindly. These types of groups are most successful with a variety of feedback and discussion!
Participants are encouraged to use Track Changes to comment directly on manuscript pages before the group meets, so they can be emailed to the Editors for distribution after the critique session.
- Visit http://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/46827 and follow the onscreen instructions to submit title, genre, target market and 150-word summary of the story you would like to have critiqued at the Critique Group.
- We will select winners via random selection from qualifying entries on October 1, 2015. Winners will be notified by email.
- Click here for Official Rules.
- Manuscripts submitted for critique must be unpublished and uncontracted work (we do not want to step on another editor’s editing process!) but authors who want to participate may be at any stage of their writing career.
- Manuscripts for the critique groups must fall within these adult fiction genres:
- Romance (all genres/subgenres & heat levels)
- New adult (all subgenres)
- As we do not publish young adult or younger, we are unable to offer feedback on these genres/manuscripts in these critique groups.
Winners must confirm their attendance and upload the following (via link provided in notification email) by October 5, 2015:
- 2 chapters
- A longer synopsis (maximum 1 page, single-spaced with 12-point font), if desired
- Please remove all identifying name/address/phone number information from your pages.
- Chapters will be forwarded to all critique group participants for blind commentary prior to arrival at the critique group.
Those entering must be able to attend the virtual critique group via TeamViewer on the date and time selected at time of entry. No date/time substitutions will be offered and feedback will not be given at any other time. Participants must be aware that their chapters will be shared with the other group participants in order to provide commentary and critique. Winning authors may not transfer their place in the group to another author. In the event that someone cannot attend, a new participant will be selected. All authors must confirm their attendance no later than October 5, 2015. If attendance is not confirmed by that time, a new participant will be chosen.
Entries and/or submissions are not considered to be submissions to either Carina Press or Harlequin and all non-winning entries will be deleted.
Note: Authors should consider this an opportunity to solicit professional and peer feedback on their manuscript, not as an opportunity to pitch their project to each editor. Authors who participate in these sessions are welcome to submit to Carina/Harlequin following official submission guidelines, but chapters for this session will be used only for the purpose of critique and will not be considered submitted for potential publication.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER. Purchase or acceptance of a product offer does not improve your chances of winning. Sweepstakes opens 9/4/2015 at 12:01 AM (EDT) and closes 9/30/2015 at 11:59 PM (EDT). Enter online at http://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/46827 (the “Promotion Website”). Open to legal residents of the U.S. and Canada (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence or older. Void where prohibited by law. Void in Quebec. Ten (10) prizes available to be won consisting of a spot at one (1) of two (2) virtual critique group workshops being held online on October 16, 2015 and October 23, 2015 respectively. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Full details and Official Rules available online at Promotion Website. Sponsor: Harlequin Enterprises Limited.