Problems in Paradise, book #3 in my Texas Nights series, was the first book I wrote from start-to-finish under contract. I’d like to say it was easy going since I’d learned so much in editing the first two books, Personal Assets and Running the Red Light.
Well…Paradise has lots of plot strands and gave me fits along the way. But between my amazing (and patient!) editor Deb Nemeth and me, we whipped the book and the characters into shape.
So today, I want to share with you a few of the stories behind the Problems in Paradise story:
- I researched the…ahem…ins-and-outs of food poisoning by chatting with a county health department nurse in Texas. Believe me, I know more about making you sick from food than should make you comfortable. ;-)
- Beck Childress was the first law enforcement hero I’ve written in any of my books.
- Beck has a bit of a junk food obsession, but his original bad habit was dipping Copenhagen (tobacco). My editor eighty-sixed that real quick, so Beck tossed the can and picked up a Slim Jim instead.
- Beck and Eden were one of the most challenging couples I’ve written because they’re both pretty serious folks. That meant they needed to show their fun and playful sides with one another. How did they do that? Redneck wine glasses, that’s all I’m saying.
- I thought I knew what Eden’s BIG SECRET was until I wrote the scene where it’s revealed to the reader. Then I was like “Holy crapola, so THAT’S her deal!” Then, she totally whacked me over the head with another one later in the book. That Eden, she’s a sneaky one.
I’m thrilled that early readers are saying this is their favorite Texas Nights book so far. It means all that hard editing work was more than worth the effort. From reader’s mouths…
I was laughing out loud, getting my heart strings tugged on, and just generally SMILING the whole time I was reading. ~ Brooke
You will root for this couple that are like complete opposites but are still great for each other, if only everyone would get out of their way. If you like romantic comedy and contemporary romance, you really need to check this one out. ~ Julie
This contemporary romance is full of twists and turns, some laugh-out-loud moments, and hot steamy sex. Once I started reading, I couldn’t put this book down until I had read the last word. ~ Pamela
As a reader, do you enjoy learning about the stories behind the story?
Get your copy of PROBLEMS IN PARADISE from any of these retailers.
Kelsey Browning writes sass kickin’ love stories and cozy Southern mysteries. Originally from a Texas town smaller than the ones she writes about, Kelsey has also lived in the Middle East and Los Angeles, proving she’s either adventurous or downright nuts. These days, she hangs out in northeast Georgia with Tech Guy, Smarty Boy, and Bad Dog. She’s currently at work on the next book in her Texas Nights series and The Granny Series.